Scott Ward, principal officer of Southern Components and chair of SBCA’s Quality Control Committee, sat down with Kirk Grundahl to discuss the industry’s current in-plant quality control processes, along with SBCA’s Digital QC Program and how it is going to revolutionize the component manufacturing industry.
WHY SBCA DIGITAL QC
- Truss joints are being scrutinized more critically in the field
- CMs desire data to prove manufacturing performance
- QC accuracy evaluated anywhere in the construction process at any time
WHAT & HOW
- Digital algorithms are quick, accurate & objective
- A small, rugged tablet, photographs & digitally inspects “Critical Joints”
- Takes 1/4 the time compared to traditional inspection
- Uses SBCA-unique-algorithms
- Limits human subjectivity & error
- Provides continuous improvement feedback loop
- Measure, compare, manage
MEASURE TO MANAGE – DO YOU IMMEDIATELY KNOW WHEN:
- A machine is not pressing plates well; why?
- Crew #12 is having trouble with tooth roll; root cause?
- Certain joints are out of control; why?
- Crew #1 has three new team members & QC is affected; training?
ROOT CAUSE EVALUATION THEN SOLUTION
- Real-time data
- QC dashboard control charts & graphs lead to better decisions
- Create QC benchmarks for quick operation evaluations
VALUE TO COMPONENT MANUFACTURERS
- Synonymous with truss quality for:
- Truss Buyers
- General Contractors
- Building Officials
- Data helps show field issue causation
- Reduce jobsite quality disputes and backcharges
- Truss repairs do not have to be free