Home Builders Provide Conduit for Florida Disaster Relief
Hurricane Ian made landfall last week in South Florida, as a category 4 hurricane, bringing estimated wind speeds of 145 mph and devastating flooding to communities throughout the state. Ian also made its way up the coast and brought heavy rain, wind and flooding to South Carolina.
In response, NAHB is working closely with state and local home builder associations in Florida and coastal South Carolina to meet the needs of members who are affected by storms and to provide resources to help them rebuild.
For those looking to support the relief effort, the Florida Home Builders Foundation has established a disaster relief designated fund to provide assistance and support to the communities hardest hit by this natural disaster. Individuals, businesses, members and friends of the industry are encouraged to make contributions to help defray the cost of recovery.
The Florida Home Builders Foundation is currently accepting donations. Any donor that gives more than $100 will receive a special edition Florida Home Builders Foundation Disaster Response Team hat.
NAHB is advising its members of the following resources for more information on Hurricane Ian:
- Federal Emergency Management Agency's Hurricane Ian Resources page.
- Small Businesses Administration's information regarding assistance and funding.
- Disaster Assistance.gov also has federal disaster assistance information available.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration has a guide to staying mentally healthy after stressful events.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has information on post-disaster debris and toxic hazards removal.
For more information or resources on disaster recovery please visit NAHB's Disaster Recovery Toolkit.